Sunday, June 6, 2010

stress in the sun?

Who knew the summer would have it's own stresses completely unrelated to school? Oh well, I'm thankful for this break that is flying byyy!

I have to start "working" or sitting babies this week AND I'm teaching vacation bible school. Tonight was the first night and of course I would be assigned the 4th & 5th graders but they were awesome. I really am in love with children. They are all SO different and their personalities are so engaging. I try and include everyone but the girls know all the answers. There was one boy who was very polite but quiet. He would raise his hand and say "excuse me". I asked him to read a passage from Psalms as a prayer. Everyone bowed their heads and after his first sentence I realized I had given him the King James Version with the challenging vocabulary including 'thy, thou, & hast'... whoops. I let him struggle for about 2 minutes and then I finished with a prayer. After everyone had left the classroom he lingered behind helping me clean. As I was frantically moving chairs and picking up pens he said in the most sincere voice "I'm sorry. My mom reads the bible to me only sometimes. I had never read it before. That was my first time." BAM! That hit me like a brick wall! Of all the kids, I asked HIM to read the passage. I told him he did awesome and quickly thanked God for that experience. I volunteered for VBS during first semester bc I knew it would give me something to do and I figured I'd get something out of it. Little did I know that it would affect me in such a way. SUCCESS!


As I mingled with the adults, EVERYONE asked me if I wanted to be a teacher and I tried not to rudely say "HECK NO". Most of them actually advised me not to but I tried to explain to them that it could be a possibility. I wouldn't mind being an ESL teacher since you don't have to actually teach anything except English. And my Spanish degree would actually be put to use. Strangely enough, I checked my email just now and I got a newsletter from Goabroad.com and they were advertising teaching English abroad... hmmmmmmmmm. Of course I have a plan for my career but it's always good to have multiple backups. All I know right now is I LOVE the Spanish language (and children) and God obviously has a wonderful plan that I can't even imagine!

I guess you may be wondering how any of that can be stressful, but I guess it's the good kind of stress that keeps you going and makes you want to get out of bed in the morning. Even when things are going 1,000 mph, I still try to remember the words of the great creator...

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

Keep the faith <><,
Jessicaa

No comments:

Post a Comment